Pupil Welfare and SEN
- Educational Safeguarding
Who we are
The Education Safeguarding Team (EST) are the Local Authority leads for safeguarding children in education settings, focused primarily on supporting and advising on all matters relating to safeguarding children; this includes representing education services in the work of Kent Safeguarding Children Board.
How this applies to you
All schools and education settings have a duty under Sections 157 and 175 of the Education Act 2002 to safeguard children and promote their welfare. Early Years settings have a duty to comply with the Safeguarding and Welfare requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage 2014. There is also a statutory responsibility on all agencies to provide safeguarding training to their workforces, as outlined in Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015.
What we do
The team has a number of statutory responsibilities to fulfil on behalf of the Local Authority, which include:
- Lead professional advisory service regarding safeguarding concerns, policy, procedure, safe working practice and online safety within education settings.
- Publication of the safeguarding newsletter, which provides essential information and updates 3 times a year.
- Lead on policy, monitoring and reporting on care standards in residential special school provisions, under Standard 20 of the National Minimum Standards.
Non-statutory services that can be accessed or commissioned for a fee include:
- Centralised training for Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSL).
- Bespoke training for whole staff groups in schools and settings.
- Bespoke staff training on Online Safety.
- Independent management reviews and safeguarding reviews.
Up to date contact details and further information on all of the services we provide can be found on Kelsi: http://www.kelsi.org.uk/support-for-children-and-young-people/child-protection-and-safeguarding/safeguarding-contacts
Further details and booking arrangements for centralised training courses can be accessed via CPD online: www.kentcpdonline.org.uk
Enquiries regarding Online Safeguarding and e-Safety training, contact the Education Safeguarding Advisor (Online Protection): email@example.com or visit our e-Safety page here.
Training courses for other agencies can be accessed via Kent Safeguarding Children Board: www.kscb.org.uk