Online Resources Information
- Grief and Loss Resources - Educational Psychology
Grief and Loss Resources
In any class of twenty children/young people there will be five or six who are dealing with some aspect of death, grief or loss. Failure to recognise and deal with emotional needs can lead to poor academic performance or challenging behaviour and make effective teaching more difficult. For some children bereavement affects concentration, attendance and attainment, and these effects are not always short term (Akerman and Statham 2014).
This new downloadable resource has been developed by the Kent Educational Psychology Service to support staff wishing to increase their knowledge and understanding on the subject of bereavement and loss.
A comprehensive toolkit which includes:
- Interactive e-learning for groups of staff
- Advice and practical activities for supporting children and young people through bereavement
- Advice for support following death by suicide
- Example school policies
- Downloadable leaflets aimed at parents/carers, young people and school staff
- Sample letters
- Book list and useful addresses
- Specific advice for pre-school settings
- A downloadable PowerPoint to aid school training
- Advice for supporting pupils with SEN through bereavement
The resource is free for all Kent LEA Maintained Schools
For non-Kent schools there will be a one-off charge of £110 to access the materials.